History of Morningside
A Brief History of Morningside Baptist Church
In 1953, a group of dedicated Christians began holding worship services in a grocery store belonging to Kyle and Frances Swann in the fair grounds area of Morningside community. This served as the meeting place for three years. On May 6, 1956, with the aid of the local Baptist Brotherhood, Morningside Missionary Baptist Church was organized with eight charter members: Kyle, Frances, and Edie Nell Swann, Ralph & Ruby Wolfe, Wilson Seals, and George & Ethel Wolfe.
Property was purchased on Chestnut Avenue and services were moved to the newly constructed basement until 1960. Construction of the auditorium began in 1958 and was completed in 1960. This was only the beginning of growth as the church membership grew steadily. Over a period of time, avenues were opened which enabled the church to acquire several surrounding parcels of land for future expansion.
By the time Morningside Church celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1981, it was apparent that the need to expand had arrived. In 1986 the first of three phases of the building program "Victory Thru Vision" began. Additional education space and a fellowship hall were constructed and a 450 seat auditorium was completed in 1987.
Because of God's amazing faithfulness and the vision and obedience of a few, Morningside has grown to over 700 members. The Lord continues to bless as we continue to be "Passionate People Pursuing God's Purpose."